Sunday, November 17, 2013

Book Cover Redesign

So ... 

I chose Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud, as my subject for the cover art. 

So I chose this with the idea of just using the protagonists's iconic red braids and straw hat as the subject for the illustration. I wanted to be able to do this without it looking like she's just missing a face or something. So that was the goal. 

I used watercolor and pen for this piece, and learned how to draw braids so that was fun. 

I knew that I wanted to integrate hand lettering into this book cover, so I whipped up some gold metallic powder + ink + gum arabic and went to town. #perksofbeingacalligrapherskid 

So after painting the braids and hat and adding in some hand lettering, I scanned the whole thing in. It wasn't working very well as just the plain white background, so I took it into Photoshop and added a green background, played around with the layout of the type, and changed the hair ribbons from green to white. 

Below is the original scan. 


And the illustration + text + background. 


And then the square version: 




Annnnd I'll probably have to redo this about a million more times but this is what I've got for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment